|Each Deltic was named after either a famous regiment or racehorse.
D9000/55022: ROYAL SCOTS GREY
D9000 was named at Edinburgh Waverley station on June 18th 1962. The regiment itself became part of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards in 1971.
D9001/55001: ST. PADDY
St. Paddy was a racehorse which won the 1960 Derby, 2000 guineas, St. Leger, Hardwick and Eclipse stakes. The loco was named without ceremony at Doncaster Works in July 1961. Further information on the history of this name can be found in Deltic Deadline 163.
D9002/55002: THE KING'S OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY
Known affectionatly as 'KOYLI', D9002 was named at a ceremony held at York station on April 4th 1963. The Regiment gained this named in 1887 when it merged with three other Regiments (including The Durham Light Infantry - see D9017/55017) to become The Light Infantry.
Another famous racehorse, Meld was the winner of the 1955 Thousand Guineas, St. Leger, Oaks and Coronation stakes. The loco had its nameplates applied in July 1961 at Doncaster Works.
D9004/55004: QUEENS OWN HIGHLANDER
D9004 was the most northerly named Deltic, with the nameplates being unveiled in a ceremony at Inverness on May 23rd 1964. In 1994, the regiment merged with The Gordon Highlanders.
D9005/55005: THE PRINCE OF WALES'S OWN REGIMENT OF YORKSHIRE
D9005 was named at York on October 8th 1963. It has recently been announced that the Regiment is to merge with The Green Howards and The Duke of Wellington's Regiment - both of which also had Deltics named after them.
D9006/55006: THE FIFE AND FORFAR YEOMANRY
The naming of D9006 took place at Cupar on December 12th 1964, although by this time the regiment had amalgamated with The Scottish Horse. The regiment is now known as The Queen's Own Yeomanry.
Like several of the other 'racehorses', D9007 gained its nameplates at Doncaster Works prior to its entry into service, which took place in June 1961. The horse itself was the winner of the 1953 Derby.
D9008/55008: THE GREEN HOWARDS
D9008 became 'The Green Howards' on September 30th 1963, the naming ceremony taking place at Darlington. The Regiment remains active, and has its Regimental headquarters in Richmond in North Yorkshire.
The 'Alycidon' nameplates were fixed to D9009 at Doncaster Works in July 1961, prior to the loco entering traffic with BR. The racehorce had, some 12 years earlier in 1949, won no less than four famous races - th Ascot Gold Cup, Corporation Stakes, Doncaster Cup and Goodwood Cup.
D9010/55010: THE KING'S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERER
D9010 was bestowed with its nameplates on May 8th 1965, with a ceremony taking place at Dumfries station. Formed back in 1689, the Regiment is still going strong and fought in Iraq in 2003.
D9011/55011: THE ROYAL NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS
Newcastle was the location for the naming of D9011, on May 28th 1963. The loco outlived the Regiment, which was amalgamated with three other Regiments to become 1st Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers in 1968. For part of 1980 and 1981, the loco carried a nameplate on one side only.
The racehorse Crepello rose to fame in 1957 when it won the Derby and 2000 Guineas races. D9012 had its nameplates applied at Doncaster prior to entering service with British Railways.
D9013/55013: THE BLACK WATCH
The Black Watch was formed back in 1715, with D9013 gaining tis name on January 16th 1963 at a ceremony at Dundee West. The Regiment served in Iraq in 2004, but in 2006 the government announced that it would become a battallion within a new Scottish Regiment.
D9014/55014: THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON'S REGIMENT
The Duke of Wellington's Regiment was formed in 1881 when two Regiments of Foot (the 33rd and 76th) were merged. In recent years, the Regiment has served in a variety of locations, including Northern Ireland, Kosovo and Iraq. D9014 was named at Darlington on October 22nd 1963.
1952 was the year for the racehorse Tulyar, when it won the Derby, Eclipse Stakes and St. Leger races. D9015 was named without ceremony at Doncaster on October 13th 1961,
D9016/55016: GORDON HIGHLANDER
Formed in 1794, the Gordon Highlanders survived for 200 years before being amalgamated with The Queen's Own Highlanders. D9016 was named at Aberdeen on July 28th 1964, and is the only Deltic to have had a black background applied to its nameplates (between 1999 and 2003 when the loco carried Porterbrook livery).
D9017/55017: THE DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY
Like several of the other regiments mentioned on this page, The Durham Light Infantry was formed in 1881. In 1968, it merged with The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (see D9002/55002 above), The King's Shropshire Light Infantry and he Somerset & Cornwall Light Infantry to form The Light Infantry. As would be expected, D9017 was named at Durham, the ceremony taking place on October 29th 1963.
Ballymoss was one of most successful racehorses of 1957/8, winning the Irish Derby and St. Leger races in 1957, and the Eclipse Stakes the following year. Like the other racehorse Deltics, it was named at Doncaster (on November 24th 1961) prior to entering service.
D9019/55019: ROYAL HIGHLAND FUSILIER
A relatively modern Regiment in Deltic terms, the Royal Highland Fusiliers were formed in 1959, being created from a merger of the Highland Light Infantry and the Royal Scots Fusiliers. The Regiment remains active, and is currently based in Cyprus. D9019 was named at Glasgow Central on September 11th 1965, and a rededication ceremony - attended by the Regiment - took place 30 years laer in 1995.
The last of the 'racehorses' to be delivered, D9020 was named at Doncaster on February 12th 1962 after the horse which won the 1949 Derby and 2000 Guineas races.
D9021/55021: ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDER
Formed in 1881 from an amalgamation of the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders and 93rd Sutherland Highlanders, the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders have since served in the Boer War, the two World Wars and in many countries over the world. D9021 was named in a ceremony at Stirling (where the Regiment now has a museum at the castle) on November 29th 1963.
Last Updated Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 23:10 PM GMT