Depot Activity - July 10th & 11th

Reports courtesy of Saturday (Mike Hallam-Rudd) and Sunday (Beth Marsh):


Saturday saw an unusually low number of volunteers with only 5 present. Peter Vickers continued his systematic project on checking out wiring circuits on 15, this is one of those tasks that can be a quick fix if all the systems bell out OK or Not. in the latter in can then lead to lots of checking. Today he was working on the conduit run for the No 2 Cooler Group Fire Warning system, No 1 end still to do. Graham was continuing working of wiring removal from underneath No 9. He is slowly but surely getting there, I think today was one of those 'slowly' days judging by the comments coming out of the pit.

Geoff starting the day doing some touch up painting in No 1 end of 19 before going to the No 2 end to add a few touches there. Bob is picking up on this tomorrow and working through the air tanks after they have been installed. Mike and Richie started the day recovering a pipe union at No 2 end which had slipped down the pipe and gone through the pipe hole and under the cab floor, result👍, cab floor up, 20 seconds later Richie was putting it back down again. Richie secured the tank attached to the drivers seat pedestal whilst Mike went to prep tools and the hoist at No 1 end.

Their attention then turned to No 1 end firstly with the installation of the 2 x Co2 Fire Bottles. Richie then secured the tank which goes under the Traction Motor Blower after Mike had connected one of the end pipes. The Vacuum Exhauster table was next, these have been known to take a long time, on one occasion over a day, trying to line up the 'sprung' legs using the adjusters. We managed it in under 1 hour with no lost tools or finger ends, the plumbing on this tank was then completed. Geoff then assisted Mike after Richie had departed in going through the days work ensuring that all fittings we had worked on were suitable tight, it would be difficult to access some parts once all is built up. We then tidied the clutter in both cabs.


Turning to Sunday:

55019 - Work progressed with rebuilding No.1 nose end, the traction motor blower table was refitted and a small air tank just in front of that was also refitted. This was followed up by a paint, touching up the air tanks and exhauster table that were previously refitted prior to today.

D9015 - Work continued with replacing the flexible pipework in the radiator bays, 3 bays are now fully complete with 5 more to go. A couple of bays were completed last week but awaiting some different diameter pipe to finish off.

No.8's Cab - We started off with undercoating the roof section, using the tower scaffold we got into place last week. It was then time for Blue, from the yellow nose down to the cab doors both sides was given a top coat of BR Blue. The cab side doors were also top coated in blue as were the nose end hatch doors. Work also continued with internal jobs getting the parts for the doors ready to refit. The side door roller tracks were degreased cleaned up and some primer applied on the mounting squares to prevent more rusting. The train heating box which sits in the middle of the windows was given some attention over the past few weeks, The outside was stripped down and primed previously and today the same treatment was given to the inside.